Dragon Age

Off-topic forum which is now, paradoxically, the on-topic forum. Any on-topic posts will be moved to the off-topic forum and verse-vica.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Dragon Age

Postby Nooneyouknow » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:40 am

OK, I've now learned that immunity to knock back means you don't get staggered by attacks that deal too much damage. And I've learned the formula to determine the knock backs: If damage taken-fortitude>10% of HP you get knocked back.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Kaz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:58 pm

Right so for the mage I'm thinking upgraded heal (obviously) in creation, upgraded mind blast and crushing prison in arcane, upgraded horror and both hexes in entropy and the rest in spec trees I guess? Or should I get cone of cold too or something
Kaz

Postby Nooneyouknow » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:22 pm

Spirit bolt first, Heal second, respec to drop mind blast, primal full stop until force mage is available. Crushing prison is pretty bad from my experience, and I can't confirm the threat reduction from mind blast even works if it doesn't knockback/down. Primal is just amazingly good, and if you play on nightmare, has no FF issues at all. Entropy is good though, don't let me dissuade you from that. THe rest of spirit is also amazing, although if on nightmare, you'll want to avoid walking bomb until you can use the Pull of the Abyss+Gravitic set up for it.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Mengde » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:18 pm

oh god the "get aveline laid" sidequest

My friend and I could not stop laughing. Best quest in the entire game so far.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ISABELA IN YOUR PARTY BEFORE YOU DO THIS. IT IS GREAT.
I know the pieces fit, 'cause I watched them tumble down.
No fault, none to blame; it doesn't mean I don't desire
To point the finger, blame the other, watch the temple topple over
To bring the pieces back together, rediscover communication.
Mengde

Postby Kaz » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:21 pm

Mages feel pretty underpowered compared to Origins. Fenris and Varric are tearing shit up while I tickle mobs with my staff of wussiness because all my shit is on longass cooldown and the fight isn't anywhere near over. Gonna wrap this up soon and start a final run probably on nightmare as an asshole rogue and grab the 3 cheevs I'm missing.
Kaz

Postby Kaz » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:49 pm

Haha wow the prologue ogre fight on hard/nightmare is ridiculous.
Kaz

Postby Merlin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:43 pm

After 20 minutes of sidestepping the Arishok's attacks, hitting him for a fraction of 1% of his HP, and putting up with his infuriating pot whoring, I gave in and lowered the difficulty all the way. I beat the rest of the game on hard though.
Merlin

Postby Kaz » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Shoulda just refused the duel and fought him with your full party.
Kaz

Postby Nooneyouknow » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:15 pm

If you have full friend/rivalry with Fenris, and take him too that encounter, he'll accept the single combat duel on your behalf and instant kill the Arishok.

And yeah Kaz, on nightmare you need to actually kite the ogre around until he/you kill all the adds, and then watch and react to his animations to dodge pretty much everything he does.

Playing a mage on hard now, because while I started out on nightmare, I had to turn it down to normal for every act end boss. Going to try finishing the entire game on hard without changing the difficulty this time. Also going for the one year with no party members falling in battle cheev. Primal is hot shit.

I think nightmare is designed under the assumption that you'll be using poisons, grenades, and the specialized potions. The last poison recipe I found for instance, deals 1% of the targets max hp in additional damage on every hit, and heals the user for 1% of their maximum.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Mengde » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:29 am

Well, I just beat it. Normal with my mage Hawke specced as a healer/debuffer with full Spirit Healer was pretty easy; there was a total of one fight where it looked like there might be a chance of game over, at which point I rezzed my entire party, group healed them, and resumed the rape. Got the new Dissidia to play now so I won't be doing a second playthrough anytime soon, but next time I'm going to play a rogue on Hard. Maybe be a little more challenging.
Mengde

Postby Cassiel » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:25 am

DA2 is $40 on Amazon today if anyone was waiting for a price dip to pick it up.
Cassiel

Postby Kaz » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:41 pm

I had full rivalry with Fenris and he didn't accept the duel on my behalf.
Kaz

Postby Drayven » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:10 pm

Been going through the game on hard on my first playthrough with a 2h Warrior. Had a rough fight against the Rock Wraith in Act I, but it came down to Varric and my 2h Warrior (thank god for Devour) and managed to pull through. Been going kinda slow since I've been busy but looking forward to Act II.
Drayven

Postby Kaz » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:59 pm

Damn, a rogue's DPS is pretty nuts. Assassinate and twin fangs pretty much kill everything.
Kaz

Postby Mengde » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:31 pm

Replaying with a 2h Warrior on Hard and running with Anders for heals/support/debuffs, Merrill for elemental/primal dps, and Varric for more dps/witticisms. It is astonishing how fast we kill things.
Mengde

Postby Drayven » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:36 pm

Thats been my team exactly but mainly because i wanted to romance Merrill first. I've been having ease with it so far as well.
Drayven

Postby Nooneyouknow » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:49 pm

It's the only viable party on nightmare if you're a 2 hand warrior. You can't use any melee but a 2 hander with friendly fire realistically.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Mengde » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:11 pm

Drayven wrote:Thats been my team exactly but mainly because i wanted to romance Merrill first. I've been having ease with it so far as well.

My first playthrough I jumped Fenris's bones because I recruited him before Merrill, but as soon as I met Merrill I was like "they have distilled everything I find attractive in a woman for all the wrong reasons into an elf mage chick. I MUST HAVE HER. Next playthrough."
Mengde

Postby Nooneyouknow » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:53 pm

More bitching about Act 1, yay. I honestly don't remember people bitching about Chapter 2 of BG2 this much, when it was exactly the same premise, but to an even worse degree.

Also, it's a review on the console version only.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Kaz » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:58 pm

Well to be fair, doing any one of the major chapter 2 quests in BG2 gave you enough money to move on to chapter 3.
Kaz

Postby Nooneyouknow » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:52 pm

Kaz wrote:Well to be fair, doing any one of the major chapter 2 quests in BG2 gave you enough money to move on to chapter 3.

You don't have to do a single secondary, companion, or side quest to get out of Act 1 either. Just the main quests alone will net you between 55 to 65 gold. All of the secondaries and side quests together net about 30. With runes of fortune, assuming you get the recipe and mats asap you can make almost 200g in act 1.

I remember easily having to do most of the major chapter 2 quests to move on if you did much shopping, or simply sucked and had to pay for a lot of rezes. In fact, my first BG2 game ended in chapter 2, because I shopped, and sucked, and finished everything available without the required funds. And the way out then iirc was to wander and pray for random encounters.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Gorbadoc » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:45 am

http://www.afterelton.com/other/2011/03/bioware-dragon-age-2-straight-men-complain-gay-men

Apparently David Gaider is awesome. This gives me yet another reason to want to upgrade my computer and buy these games.
"Oh, you have promise. But wait until you have more years fall upon you, and you will see what a shell your heart will become."
-Kreia
Gorbadoc

Postby OniBarubary » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:12 am

Eh, if you read some other shit he's said his awesomeness levels go down significantly.
OniBarubary

Postby Nooneyouknow » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:38 pm

Nooneyouknow

PreviousNext

Return to The Fast and the Spurious