A sports thread

Off-topic forum which is now, paradoxically, the on-topic forum. Any on-topic posts will be moved to the off-topic forum and verse-vica.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: A sports thread

Postby EzekieL » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:53 am

What will really upset me is if Rashad somehow gets a lucky right hand on Rua and takes the belt only to lose it to the next challenger which will more then likely be Machida. I have far to many friends around where I live that think Rashad is the best ever and it pisses me off because they don't know shit lol. Fucking hate Rashad.

Also, I'm not a super hardcore fan so I'm not sure how the scoring works to an exact extent based on what Cass was saying,(Will probably read into it more later) but I definitely feel Rashad shouldn't have won by unanimous decision, so I agree and hope something does get done with the scoring.
EzekieL

Postby Cassiel » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:54 pm

There are two main problems with scoring under the unified rules. The first is that you get points for "control," which allows fighters to win by stalling, and the second is the round-by-round 10-point must system. Both of these are the exact opposite of how Pride handled scoring.

Instead of giving points to the fighter who "controlled" the fight, Pride rewarded the fighter who tried to finish the fight. More than that, stalling tactics like Rashad has used in his last two fights earned yellow/green cards from the ref in Pride, which resulted in a 10% purse fine and eventually a DQ.

But the most important thing is that Pride scored fights as a whole, not one round at a time. In a fight like Rashad vs. Rampage, where there's no offense in the first two rounds but one fighter almost finishes the other in the third, Pride says those first two rounds of non-action don't matter.
Cassiel

Postby gandalf37 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:35 pm

That sounds a lot more reasonable as a scoring system. I also get annoyed with take downs having so much weight in the current scoring, especially when you can see they are just doing it to score points. I suppose that has to do with control, being able to take down your opponent.

Is there a specific reason UFC has not adopted a system like Pride's? There has been so many ridiculous decisions lately I can't see how not switching is justifiable and Dana White's "don't leave it in the hands of the judges" is crap. Some fights are just going to go to decision and that line is poor motivation for fighters to finish a fight. It would be more motivation for fighters to finish a fight if they were being scored on them actually trying to do that.
gandalf37

Postby Deacon (AYC) » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:53 pm

I absolutely agree with Cass, and I am still presently a massive nuthugger of Japanese MMA as a whole, but the PRIDE system still has its flaws. Judging wise I mean, the green/yellow card system is quite possibly the best thing in MMA.

What people need to understand, and I'm sure Cass does, about JMMA is that it can be very corrupt and favourable towards fighters at times. This has been quite evident with fighters such as Aoki and Kid in recent years. You still get some highly sketchy decisions as a result of personal bias, or in PRIDE's case the Yakuza influencing decisions. In fact, I think the system is in a far worse state now with DREAM than it was with PRIDE.

The Japanese scoring system is probably the right direction to head in, but with fuckwit judges like Cecil Peoples is it really going to make all that much of a difference? Implement the cards though for gods sake, they will prevent shitfests from occuring in the future.
HOSK CLAN: CLAN HOSK
Deacon (AYC)

Postby Myth » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:27 pm

This thread needs to be renamed to something more relevant.
Myth

Postby theboogleman » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:34 pm

I coming from a football background so call me an idiot but what's wrong with draws? I don't see the point of declaring a winner unless:

A) Someone cannot fight anymore
B) Someone dominated but just couldn't finish him off

They don't give you the win in any other sport just cause you played better but couldn't score. Here's 3 points for trying really hard!
theboogleman

Postby Cassiel » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:36 pm

You're right, but that's a change that they'll never make.
Cassiel

Postby Myth » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:14 pm

YEAH GO HAWKS x 2!
Myth

Postby Kaz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:44 am

For their sake, I hope the Hawks win it because they certainly won't be able to for the next several seasons, being in cap hell and all. Also fuck Philly.
Kaz

Postby Myth » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:36 am

I'm depressed because I really want to go out to have a beer and watch the game, but my few awesome-time-out friends are out of town. Although I did make a bet with the actor downstairs for a beer and a block of cheese.
Myth

Postby bdnakathelakaflammab » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:50 pm

Chi City better win this in overtime. Chris Pronger is a douche.
bdnakathelakaflammab

Postby harveymudd » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:47 pm

This thread has been up for a while, and I really think my initial prediction, Lakers taking it all last year, (which came true), is gonna come true again! Damn I love this thread. Then again, BOY was a fucking off picking the Mets to do anything. I got caught up in Zabrano fever.
harveymudd

Postby Myth » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:55 pm

bdnakathelakaflammab wrote:Chi City better win this in overtime. Chris Pronger is a douche.

Fuck Pronger, I hope Byfuglien had some choice words for that giant bag of dicks.

Also, HAWKS WIN

I can hear campustown 12 blocks away and wish I had stayed in the city a few more days.
Myth

Postby Kaz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:56 pm

Holy shit did Kane wire that one or what? The goal judge didn't even see it.
Kaz

Postby Myth » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:06 am

Man, he just walloped it! Great shot. Wish they would have won at home, but a championship is a championship, and fuck those Flyers fans, they're all as big a bag of dicks as that Pronger asshat.
Myth

Postby pix » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:07 pm

Haha fuck the Lakers.
pix

Postby harveymudd » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Haha, fuck the Celtics. Nice little choke job.
harveymudd

Postby harveymudd » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:47 pm

Called the game seven choke job by the celts before the tip. In fact, I was so confident we would win game seven, that even when were down 13, I still knew we would pull through.

Go Lakers. Three peat time. This thread is damn lucky.
harveymudd

Postby Deacon (AYC) » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:13 am

GG FEDOR
Deacon (AYC)

Postby Cassiel » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:26 am

I actually called him getting submitted, but he'll win the rematch easily. He was just reckless tonight.

Suddenly Anderson not diving into folks' guard doesn't look so bad to people, although to be fair if Werdum hadn't faked being hurt, Fedor wouldn't have jumped headfirst into the triangle.

Mistakes like that should give you a better appreciation for Shogun's instincts as well. When he drops guys, he never falls into their guard. Against Machida, for example, he went directly to mount. Velasquez has looked pretty good in this regard as well.
Cassiel

Postby unwichtig » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:46 am

wie sagt man "gg England no re?"
unwichtig

Postby Deacon (AYC) » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:14 pm

Looking at it, it's just a shitty tech error. If he was able to throw that leg over his head when he got down, and got side control, would have been over.
Deacon (AYC)

Postby Cassiel » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:25 am

Nice breakdown from the current generation of Gracies.

Cassiel

Postby EzekieL » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:55 pm

I had Carwin closing this fight in the first round but holy crap Lesner can take some shots. GG Carwin.
EzekieL

Postby Cassiel » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:07 am

Actually Carwin whiffed on most of those punches.

Cassiel

PreviousNext

Return to The Fast and the Spurious