Fighting Game thread

Off-topic forum which is now, paradoxically, the on-topic forum. Any on-topic posts will be moved to the off-topic forum and verse-vica.

Moderator: Moderators

Fighting Game thread

Postby Nooneyouknow » Tue May 06, 2008 3:43 pm

So I saw the trailer for KoF XII, and they finally decided to draw new sprites, game looks hot. Not sure if I'm more heavily anticipating this or SFIV now.
Last edited by Nooneyouknow on Fri May 27, 2011 5:56 am, edited 26 times in total.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Drayven » Tue May 06, 2008 3:45 pm

Seeing as I play KoF 11 I'm extremely excited for KoF 12.

Between KoF 12, Blaz Blue, that Fate Stay Night Fighter, Soul Calibur 4, and maaaybe Street Fighter 4... I've alot to look forward to.
Drayven

Postby Nooneyouknow » Tue May 06, 2008 3:50 pm

Drayven wrote:Seeing as I play KoF 11 I'm extremely excited for KoF 12.

Between KoF 12, Blaz Blue, that Fate Stay Night Fighter, Soul Calibur 4, and maaaybe Street Fighter 4... I've alot to look forward to.

I haven't had my hands on a KoF game since 2001. Makes me fairly sad. I'm actually pissed because I just found out a few days ago that there actually was a NA release of Mark of the Wolf for DC.

Very heavily debating putting Brawl aside for a couple days and getting Last Blade 2 out.

KoF12 has me drooling though, and I'm on the verge of just going out to pick up Accent Core since I still haven't gotten to play it. I just hope SF4 is better than SF3.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Whatcha » Tue May 06, 2008 4:24 pm

they're location testing KoFXII at my local arcade.

Jealousy, you has it =[
Whatcha

Postby Nooneyouknow » Tue May 06, 2008 6:06 pm

Whatcha wrote:they're location testing KoFXII at my local arcade.

Jealousy, you has it =[

I'm jealous you have a local arcade, period.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Drayven » Tue May 06, 2008 10:10 pm

Nooneyouknow wrote:
Whatcha wrote:they're location testing KoFXII at my local arcade.

Jealousy, you has it =[

I'm jealous you have a local arcade, period.

No shit, they don't have any arcades around here that actually have good fighters in it. Just the shooting/racing car variety.

Get Accent Core, Guilty Gear is still easilly the best 2d fighter around currently. And Accent Core is extremely well balanced and allows for quite an amount of ways to play each character. Force breaks have created even more ways to use the tension bar, and is extremely fun to play if you have people to play against.

I want to play KoF 12 though, if anything to get my King/Vanessa/Shen team on. I hope they bring back Leona as well since she was missing from 11.
Drayven

Postby Iam2good4u2c » Tue May 06, 2008 11:21 pm

There was an Arcade called tilt at my local westfield (Its a giant shopping centre, with tons of different shops, a mall.) but they sold and the reject shop took over. I still have like 1400 tickets or something left over that you can buy stuff with. It had everything, the dancing sqaures thing, racing, shooting, SF3 was there if i remember correctly, and you could have birthday parties there and stuff. Oh man the days.
Iam2good4u2c

Postby Whatcha » Tue May 06, 2008 11:54 pm

I live within walking distance to Family Fun Arcade, i.e. the best arcade on the west coast (atleast, in the third strike/MvC2 scene).

My friend got a round off of Pyrolee the other day.
And Third Strike will always be more fun for some reason. Probably because nobody plays the other games.
Whatcha

Postby pix » Wed May 07, 2008 12:47 am

Name dropping doesn't work if I have to google it.
pix

Postby Whatcha » Wed May 07, 2008 2:28 am

dude, pyrolee is the best U.S. Yun player =[
Not that it's much of an accomplishment compared to the Japanese guys but still.

Just admit it, you're all jealous cause I have an awesome arcade near me. It's ok, you can admit your nerdiness here.
Whatcha

Postby Myth » Wed May 07, 2008 4:57 am

I have no less than three fantastic arcades all within 40 minutes of my current habitation. =/
Myth

Postby Zeuter » Wed May 07, 2008 10:12 am

Except you get stared down by geeks in t<3 with t in minutes.
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby Nooneyouknow » Wed May 07, 2008 1:45 pm

Arcade's other than the failure of Tilt do not exist in central California. It has made me sad for a long time =(

Every mall still has a Tilt around here, but none of them have bought any new games since soul Cali 2 came out. It's so lame.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Whatcha » Wed May 07, 2008 8:47 pm

ahahahha, central California.
Whatcha

Postby Nooneyouknow » Thu May 08, 2008 5:43 pm

Bought GGXXAC today. Looked at the box after we got into the car, almost went right back in to return it: case claims it's only playable with the Wiimot+chuk. Got home anyway to see how terrible it was, and the games start up screen tells you to use a Classic or Chuk. Thank god. Took about an hour to remember how to play though.
Nooneyouknow

Postby pix » Thu May 08, 2008 5:44 pm

Will you fuckers quit using so many fucking acronyms.
pix

Postby Nooneyouknow » Thu May 08, 2008 8:57 pm

pix wrote:Will you fuckers quit using so many fucking acronyms.

It's not our fault they make fighting game titles so long no one wants to type
them. King of Fighters, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, most Street Fighter games, they all end up having ludicrously long titles.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Drayven » Fri May 09, 2008 8:46 am

It's an amazing fighter game, I've been playing the GG:XXAC+ (lol pix) or Guilty Gear: XX Accent Core Plus that came out in Japan. It adds a story mode (which is useless in japanese,) a modified survival mode, and Kliff and Justice are back for versus etc...

I actually managed to win a tournament I went to at a college around here. Then again, beating people there isn't exactly too hard. They didn't know how to handle Faust since 90% of the people picked either Slayer, Testament, Ky or Sol :P

I'm also a huge Jam and Anji player.
Drayven

Postby Gorbadoc » Fri May 09, 2008 9:35 am

pix wrote:Name dropping doesn't work if I have to google it.
QFT.
"Oh, you have promise. But wait until you have more years fall upon you, and you will see what a shell your heart will become."
-Kreia
Gorbadoc

Postby Nooneyouknow » Fri May 09, 2008 11:58 am

Drayven wrote:It's an amazing fighter game, I've been playing the GG:XXAC+ (lol pix) or Guilty Gear: XX Accent Core Plus that came out in Japan. It adds a story mode (which is useless in japanese,) a modified survival mode, and Kliff and Justice are back for versus etc...

I actually managed to win a tournament I went to at a college around here. Then again, beating people there isn't exactly too hard. They didn't know how to handle Faust since 90% of the people picked either Slayer, Testament, Ky or Sol :P

I'm also a huge Jam and Anji player.

Zal reminded me within 30 minutes of playing that Venom does more chip damage than normal damage. >.< Zal uses Venom and Jam, I use Dizzy and Ky. Use to use Bridget and Robo-Ky, but I can't remeber how to do shit with either one of them anymore. I wasn't worried about the story mode, since it's basically the XX story yet again, and I have XX#Reload if I'm worried about it.

Vapor Slash got a nice upgrade in Accent Core. Ky feels like an actual contender now instead of the newbie learn the controls guy.

Faust and Zappa still scare me =(
Nooneyouknow

Postby Drayven » Fri May 09, 2008 12:51 pm

Remember to faultless defense on Venom's Dark Angel special (huge glowing purple orb) to make sure you take no chip damage. It wastes tension, but if you miss the jump over it, it's better to take no damage from the overdrive than save the tension.

Best addition to Accent Core was by far the force breaks, some are downright scary (Slayer's Big Bang Upper, Jam's force break puffball, etc..) gives you far more to use your tension gauge with. Hell, except for some overdrives (Johnny's "J for Johnny" and a few others) I use force breaks and FRCs more than overdrives with the tension bar these days.

Man, I fucking love guilty gear.
Drayven

Postby Nooneyouknow » Fri May 09, 2008 1:03 pm

Drayven wrote:Remember to faultless defense on Venom's Dark Angel special (huge glowing purple orb) to make sure you take no chip damage. It wastes tension, but if you miss the jump over it, it's better to take no damage from the overdrive than save the tension.

Best addition to Accent Core was by far the force breaks, some are downright scary (Slayer's Big Bang Upper, Jam's force break puffball, etc..) gives you far more to use your tension gauge with. Hell, except for some overdrives (Johnny's "J for Johnny" and a few others) I use force breaks and FRCs more than overdrives with the tension bar these days.

Man, I fucking love guilty gear.

I had to buy it used, so I lack a manual. I'll have to dig out the #Reload manual I guess since I have completely forgotten how to faultless defense. Zal is frustrating to have as my only opponent, because his style is every 2 fighting game is keep away and traps.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Drayven » Fri May 09, 2008 5:56 pm

Just hold back and two attack buttons and a green barrier will pop up, thats faultless defense.

If he likes traps, surprised he doesn't play Testament ;)
Drayven

Postby Nooneyouknow » Fri May 09, 2008 6:50 pm

Drayven wrote:Just hold back and two attack buttons and a green barrier will pop up, thats faultless defense.

If he likes traps, surprised he doesn't play Testament ;)

Speaking of Testament, I found myself pretty surprised when the Testament AI in arcade mode routine pulls off 0-85% damage combos. That's just a wee bit rape coming from the AI isn't it?

Yeah, Zal remembered how to do faultless defense, so I;ve got that one down, could you uh, explain force breaks?
Nooneyouknow

Postby Drayven » Fri May 09, 2008 7:15 pm

The AI only gets ridiculous in chaining these incredible air combos that would normally take some time to get down.

If you look at the command list, any moves that are in gold are force breaks.

For example, Jam's normal puffball (quarter-circle forward + slash and either slash for normal puffball or heavy slash for run past and then puffball) becomes a super puffball that uses 25% tension if you hit dust instead of slash or circle for the second part. A force break puffball hits harder and if they are near a wall will cause them to stick to it, which sets up her wall rape combos.

Slayer's force break is completely individual (quarter-circle forward + dust) and turns into a helluva evil juggle move. Each character has their own force breaks which are like suped-up special moves that involve the dust button instead of slash/heavy slash etc... and consume 25% tension bar everytime used.

The benefit is usually really worth it though. Like Anji has great juggles using the force break fuujin, since it bounces them and they can't air recovery out of it.

Just check the command list and look for the gold.
Drayven

Next

Return to The Fast and the Spurious